Rainbow Choc Chip Cookies
These cookies are soft & chewy & will brighten the day & delight all with their deliciousness.
Prep: 30 mins Chill: 10 mins Cook: 20 mins
Makes 20 cookies
200g packet dark or milk choc chips
125g butter, chopped, set aside & softened slightly at room temperature
½ cup (110g) caster sugar
¼ cup (55g) firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda
1 ½ cups (225g) plain flour
Red, orange, yellow, bright green, sky blue & violet or bright purple/violet food colours** (if you can’t get orange you can mix some of the red & yellow if you can’t get purple or violet you can mix a little of the red & blue)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line two large baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Measure out 2 tablespoons choc chips & set aside. Place remaining choc chips in another bowl.
2. Fit the paddle attachment to an electric stand mixer (or standard mixing beaters to your electric hand mixer). Add butter, caster sugar & brown sugar to the bowl. Mix at low speed until just combined then increase to medium speed & mix for 2 minutes until light & fluffy.
3. Add egg, vanilla, salt, & bicarbonate soda. Mix for 10 seconds on low speed until just combined then mix on medium speed for a further 1 minute until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
4. Add in half the flour. Mix on low speed until just incorporated. Add remaining flour & mix on low speed until fully incorporated. Add the larger portion of choc chips. Mix on low speed until just combined (or if using a hand-held mixer mix the choc chips in with a wooden spoon, by hand).
5. Divide dough into 6 equal portions & place into individual bowls. Add 2-4 drops** of the red food colouring to one dough portion. Mix well with a spoon until evenly combined & dough is fully coloured (or mix with your hands though if you don’t want rainbow hands suggest wearing disposable gloves!). Repeat with orange, yellow, green, blue & violet purple food colours & remaining dough portions.
6. On a clean chopping board roll each the red coloured dough portion into approximately a 30-35cm long log. Place onto large piece of non-stick baking paper that is approximately 50cm wide onto the bench. Repeat with the orange, yellow, green, blue & violet dough portions placing each coloured log next to each other on top of the non-stick baking paper. Wrap up the baking paper tightly, around the dough pressing the doughs together forming a large log. Place onto a chopping board & refrigerate for at least 10 minutes until just firm.
7. Carefully remove the baking paper. Cut approx. a ½ -1 cm slice from the dough log. Form into a round (if not then place onto prepared baking trays. Repeat with remaining dough placing the cookies at least 4 cm apart (as they will spread during baking) Slightly flatten. Top with reserved choc chips, pressing slightly into the dough.
8. Bake, in batches, for 10 minutes or until the edges are just firm. (If you want a crisper cookie bake for a further 2-3 minutes). Remove from oven & cool cookies on the baking tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.