After a long day cooking up a storm at work many would wonder how I manage to still have the energy to get back into the kitchen and cook dinner.
Well when food is your passion it's usually easy but sometimes it can be a struggle....today was one of those days!
After some early mornings and late work nights and cooking up a storm, I was feeling rather weary and almost cooked out. I was almost tempted to dial the local Thai place for dinner, however I resisted.
Using inspiration from one of Jamie Oliver's recipes that only uses one pan - Everyday Crispy Chicken with Sweet Tomatoes (from his book Jamie's Dinners) I made a few tweaks to add a few different flavours and lighten up the dish.
After a short time in the kitchen I made a deliciously healthy dinner with minimal washing up .....and was still able to take some time out, sitting down with a glass of wine and the news, before Mr G came home.
one-pan chicken with cherry tomatoes and olives Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves 4
8 chicken drumsticks
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 x 200g punnets cherry tomatoes, halved
8 cloves garlic, peeled
8 sprigs fresh marjoram
1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 x 280g jar Sandhurst Sicilian olives, drained
500g desiree potatoes, cut into 2cm pieces
Extra marjoram and basil, to garnish
Fresh crusty bread & mixed leaf salad, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Remove the skin from the drumsticks by holding the meaty end of the bone with one hand and, using some kitchen towel paper, use the other hand to pull the skin down and away from the flesh.
- Heat oil in flameproof roasting pan over high heat. Add chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, for 5 -8 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from heat.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, marjoram, basil, chilli, olives and potatoes, spreading around the pan. Cook in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to 240C. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until potatoes are golden and chicken is cooked through. Serve with some fresh crusty bread and salad.