Sonja's Spectacular Speculaas Brownies
400g dark chocolate, chopped (for a super indulgent dark brownie use 70% cocoa)
150g salted butter, chopped
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup (125mL) milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour, sifted
½ cup milk choc bits
½ cup Speculaas cookie butter (I used Lotus Biscoff - the crunchy version😋 )
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a 3cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm (base) lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang on all sides.
- Place dark chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and combined. Remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar and caster sugar. Set aside & cool for 5 -10 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk eggs with the milk and vanilla. . Add to cooled chocolate mixture, stir until combined. Fold in flour and choc chips. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Place the Speculaas cookie butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 20 secs on HIGH or until soft and smooth. Drizzle the cookie butter over the brownie mixture. Use a butter knife to lightly swirl it into the brownie.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is firm to touch but still a little fudgy in the centre. Set aside to cool completely in the pan. Transfer to a board & cut into squares.